9.17.2006

Sunday Sportsblogging

  • Fresno State loses to Washington, 21-20. Special teams failed us again. Last week is was touching a blocked kick and getting burned on a fake field goal. This week, a missed extra point, a missed field goal, failing to easily down the ball on the one, and allowing a long punt return. These are two games against Pac-10 teams we should have had. That said, listening to the call in show after the game was depressing. People were calling for a new quarterback, for a new head coach. Wha? If you would have told me 10 years ago our program would ever be in the position of being expected to beat Pac-10 teams on a regular basis, I'd have called you crazy. So everyone in Fresno, calm down, we're going to be okay.
  • Chargers beat Titans 40-7. And it was even that close. Chargers have looked very good, but playing against two horrible teams makes me unsure of how good they are. Also, San Diego's backup running back, Michael Turner, could start for 2/3 of the league, I'm convinced. Also, I'm liking Philip Rivers a whole lot.
  • Padres take over 1st place in the NL West. So far in the four game series against the Dodgers, the Pads are 2-1. We'll see how it goes tomorrow, but this year we (the Pads) have owned the Dodgers. Without our dominance, we'd be in third place, rather than first.
  • There are a lot of shitty NFL teams. Oakland, Tampa Bay, Detroit, and Tennesee are looking rather pathetic.
  • Go Doormats! I realized that while I could never be considered a "fan" of any other team, I have found myself subconsiously pulling for the 49ers, Cardinals, Bengals, and Saints, while rooting against the Patriots, Steelers, and Colts.
  • Calm down, sports fans. Twice I almost witnessed fights breeakout between fans of different teams at the sports bar I go to. And considering the amount of taunting, I'm shocked it was only two. Um, it's a game? Christ almighty, do you really have so little in life that football is that important to you?
  • Fantasy football is retarded. I used to actually play, but it's gotten way out of hand. There's an inverse relationship between how enjoyable FF can be and how detailed and obsessive fantasy geeks get. I guess that's an obious point, and I blame the internets. It was far funner back in 87, when we had to get all the stats from the Monday and Tuesday papers. Plus, I like to root for my team with no conflicts of interest. There is a fantasy football backlash going on, and I am proud to be a part of it.
  • John Madden and Al Michaels still suck.

1 comment:

  1. Fans fighting at a sports bar is bad, childish behavior. They need to get a life. I know what you mean about Fantasy sports. I used to play a lot of fantasy basketballl and I hated when I needed a guy to do really well AGAINST my favorite teams. Hard to know what to cheer for.

    ReplyDelete