3.16.2007

The Host

I just saw The Host.

I liked it, but am I missing something? Before I watched it, I saw nothing but rave reviews. Reviewers who were comparing how many times they saw it, Falling all over themselves about how different this movie is from other "monster" movies. I mean, yeah, it was good, but it wasn't that good. Now, I've recently become a fan of Asian cinema, so I know that a lot of it really is different and really is excellent (Oldboy, The Audition, Infernal Affairs, etc). The Host simply isn't in that league; it isn't even playing the same sport.

I saw it, I enjoyed it, yet I have no plans to see it again or recommend it to everyone I see. I'm wondering if The Host isn't getting extra points in reviewer's minds simply because it is an Asian movie.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, thanks for the review. I don't have to see it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No man, see it. It's pretty good. It's just not some masterpiece like most of the reviews would have you believe.

    Hype kills everything. It's not the movies fault.

    ReplyDelete