7.07.2007

Big Love

I started watching Season Two of Big Love on HBO, and whaddaknow, more product placement:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now, of course, Team Of Rivals appearance can simply be explained as symbolism regarding how Bill's three wives divergent viewpoints end up being a strength (in his eyes at least) for their plural marriage.

But again, it gives me an icky feeling. The same thing happened regularly on the Sopranos, and now I'm sure I'll be looking for it in other HBO shows. I may be reaching here, but is HBO getting paid for this placement? Would this have anything to do with why the excellent Deadwood and Rome are still not on the air? I imagine it would be rather difficult to place a product in 1870's Montana or ancient Rome, unless you're selling gold mining equipment or chariots.

No comments:

Post a Comment