1.29.2008

Sacramento Eats

Before I leave Sacramento, I just wanted to share some of my favorite places to eat. If you live there or ever visit there, here's some places to be checked out. They are in no particular order.

Squeeze Inn

The Squeeze with cheese has made it the The Food Network, and deservedly so. Basically, you take high quality piece of meet, and as it's cooking you throw a pile of shredded cheddar on it, let it melt, cover it, and then serve it with a halo of burnt cheese around it on a high quality bun. It's a heart attack on a bun, and it is also the best cheeseburger I have ever had.

Marrakesh

I never had Moroccan food until I went here, and it was a dinner I won't soon forget. The atmosphere is fantastic, especially on the weekends when there is bellydancing. You eat with your hands (they bring mineral water to your table to wash, and I'm sure if you're anal they'll bring you utensils), and your courses are brought out gradually, which allows plenty of time for conversing. And that's important, because they atmosphere is extremely conducive to talking and having a good time. I'm sure my date had a lot to do with what a good time I had, but that does not lessen how cool this place is. Oh yeah, they food is fantastic too. The kabobs were like eating a good steak, and the chicken was cooked and seasoned perfectly.

Naked Lounge/Tupelo

I frequented these two coffeehouses (different names, same owner) more than any other spot in Sacramento besides work or home. Quite plainly the best coffee and espresso I've had. I'm not an aficionado or anything, but I'm telling you, this stuff is good. Naked Lounge downtown is more hipster, and conducive to people-watching. Tupelo, in East Sacramento, is better for studying and quieter conversation.

True Love Coffeehouse

Cool place with cool local art. Run by Kevin Seconds (lead singer of 7 Seconds). But the best reason to go here is the Peanut Butter Mocha. Wow, it's good.

Los Jarritos

Not going to pretend it's gourmet Mexican food or anything, but it is very good, especially considering the price. You will not have a better $5 meal than a Los Jarritos combination plate. Or if you're even cheaper, the $1.25 tamales (smothered with red sauce and cheese) and enchiladas (get the chicken) cannot be beat. Oh, and if you get extra chips, just pay the 25 cents, alright?

Nopalitos

I don't know a lot about the rest of the menu, but the "Little Nopalitos Special" is my favorite breakfast ever. It's cactus, egg, and um, some other stuff all smothered with an excellent red sauce.

Kabul Kabob

Went here for the first time last week and was really impressed. I git the Kabob Combination, which when I think about it, was like ordering a GREAT steak, a GREAT chicken breast, and A GREAT seasoned burger patty along with some GREAT basmati rice. Awesome food, and the people running it are super nice.

Gaylord Indian Restaurant

Stop snickering. What are you, 12 years old? Not much to say, it was just the best Indian food I've ever had.

Other things I really enjoyed:

Breakfast at The Fox and Goose.

Fish and chips at Streets Of London.

Pizza at Giovanni's and Johnny's Sidewalk Pizza.

Late night Pad Thai and cleavage watching at Ma Jong's.

Sandwich's at Dad's and Bud's Buffet.

Dessert at Rick's Dessert Diner.

And a bunch more that are escaping me at the moment (feel free to add to the list in the comments). Bottom line, there's a lot of good food in Sacramento, you just have to ignore some of the overhyped places (Mikuni, Zelda's) and try that place in the strip mall you've passed a million times.

Thanks for keeping me not skinny, Sacramento.

1 comment: