5.09.2008

san diego food tour '08: luche libra

My love for taco shops is well known. I have my own ranking system for them, with your Trujillo's and your Santana's at the top and your Adalberto's and Sombrero's at the bottom. One place that has never cracked the upper echelon, but is quite close, is Valentine's. So a few weeks ago I jaunted over to I-5 and Washington to get me some Valentine's, but it was no longer there. In its place was a funky spot called Lucha Libre Taco Shop. Of course I had to try it.

It's a real gimmicky place, that gimmick being, obviously, lucha libre and luchadores. The place is crammed with pictures and gaudy shit everywhere. There's even a goldglittered booth you can reserve and be catered to by "waiters" in luchador masks. All of this should be highly irritating, but it's not. But if you do find it irritating, once you try the food, you wouldn't care what the hell theme they go with.

They have standard taco shop faire, but I haven't tried any of it yet, because the original items beg to be tried. I went with a "Queso Taco". Despite the name, it does have carne asada, but the cheese is fried and crispy. It's fucking amazing. One of the best taco's I've ever had. (Once again, I have to apoligize for my camera phone. The Samsung a900 does not have a very good camera, and makes fantastic food like this look utterly disgusting)



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The other item I had is the legendary Tijuana Hot Dog. Bacon wrapped, grilled onions and peppers, kethup, mayo. $1.50. Glorious.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting





View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment