9.25.2008

big jay mcneely at the adams avenue street fair

Well, Fresno State plays UCLA this Saturday at the Rose Bowl, and I will be there. However, day one of the Adams Avenue Street Fair is Saturday as well. I live a house away from Adams, so it would be super convenient for me to go, and I will go on Sunday. But what makes missing Saturday suck is that I just found out Big Jay McNeely will be playing.

Big Jay is a criminally under appreciated (me included, until around 1997) uptempo saxophone player who absolutely influenced the direction of rock'n'roll in the 50's. But, I'm no expert on the man. I stumbled upon a bargain bin CD (Big Jay McNeely In 3-D) a decade ago and thought, "what the hell?", only to be blown away when I finally played it. I'll admit, I didn't even realize the guy was still alive, much less still playing.

So yeah, it sucks that I have to miss him play, but my Bulldogs in the Rose Bowl supercede almost everything.

Plus, SC hates honkin' horns. That's some choice she gets, foootball or horns. I'm a selfish, selfish, man.

So my point is, if you are going to the street fair, or just looking for something to do Saturday, GO SEE BIG JAY MCNEELY!!! It's be sad to see a sparse crowd show up for a legend.

Here's some stuff to get you primed.

Big Jay Shuffle


The Goof


Nervous Man Nervous (hmmm....did this inspire BDP's "Nervous"?)


Here's the lowdown:

Big Jay McNeely, Saturday, Sept 27, 7:45pm, Hawley Blues Stage

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment