9.18.2008

i'm missing something

When I first saw the story about how, while Palin was mayor, the city of Wasila made rape victims buy their own "rape kits", I, like a lot of people, thought there must be more to the story than meets the eye. I didn't comment on it, because I didn't want to look stupid when a totally sensible reason came along later. Instead, the story has just become weirder.

In regards to Troopergate, this is what the AP is reporting was the tipping point:
The last straw, the McCain campaign said, was in July, when Monegan planned to travel to Washington to seek federal money for a plan to assign troopers, judges and prosecutors who could exclusively handle sexual assault cases — one of the state's most intractable crime problems.
"What's so bad about that?" you ask.
The governor hadn't agreed the money should be sought, and the request was "out of sequence with our other appropriations requests and could put a strain on the evolving relationship between the Governor and Sen. (Ted) Stevens."

What? I am too confused to even try and be funny about this. I really am confused. Sucking up to an indicted Senator by shelving money for sexual assault cases, and firing the guy who actually gave a damn about the problem? Since when is being soft on rape and sexual assault ignored?

How am I distorting this? I must be. If I'm not, I don't understand how she is still on the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment