4.14.2009

city of god

Reading about John Demjanjuk, a former Nazi guard who had been living in Cleveland, Ohio, was giving me some serious deja vu.  But then it struck me; last year I read City of God, and in that book a NY Times writer secretly goes to Cincinnati, Ohio, where a former Nazi guard has been living, and ends up killing him. I have no deep insights on this, I just found it a little eerie. Was the story in the book actually based on Demjanjuk?

I did find his lawyer's comments to be a little ridiculous. When your client is accused of (allegedly) being a guard at the scene of 29,000 murders, maybe you should bite your tongue before saying things like:
"It's just a shame that Mr. Demjanjuk had to go through the hell that he went through once again this morning,"

No comments:

Post a Comment