5.19.2009

capitol punishment - glutton for punishment (1988 we bite)

Confession.

I'm a poseur. I was not always into punk and I didn't even get into it until the early 90's. This is not completely my fault, as I was hardly even aware punk existed until then. See, I was raised in  Lemoore, California, a small town, isolated by miles of dairies, corn fields, and meth labs. Forty miles away was the nearest large city, Fresno (sorry, Visalia). So yeah, I was a little culturally isolated. On top of the cultural isolation, I was much too young for the early waves of punk, and I was in high school from 86-90, a pretty dead period for punk rock in general, unless you liked NYHC.  I do remember one guy and his girlfriend wore Youth of Today shirts and we had a small population of skaters, and I'm sure some of them were into punk, but that was a world I did not know about. Punk just never really made it to Lemoore. So I defaulted to metal. Yes, I was a teenage metalhead.

But if you examine the metal I liked, you could tell I was in some way desperate to find punk. I thought of D.R.I. and Suicidal Tendencies as "metal" bands - even Dealing With It and ST's first album. Loved S.O.D., M.O.D., C.O.C. I liked things fast and short. Sure I mixed in the occasional David Lee Roth or Scorpions concert, and my favorite bands in the latter high school years were Anthrax and Voivod, but I had a wide ranging definition of metal, just as I now have a wide definition of punk.

So all this confessional biographical nonsense is just a way to point out that Capitol Punishment is the most famous punk band from Fresno. And that means a lot since it was while living in Fresno that I discovered punk rock. So they are important to me. They are the closest thing to a home town band I have. Even if they aren't from my home town. And I didn't hear them until long after they peaked.

The version of Capitol Punishment on this release included a Fresno artist you may be familiar with - drummer Tim Biskup (Boing Boing just spewed).
  1. Severin 
  2. Everyday My Life's A Living Hell
  3. When You're Helpin' The Shepherd, You're Helpin' The Sheep
  4. Old George Cloud

Little Jon's CP biography
Last.fm 

DOWNLOAD 'GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT'

No comments:

Post a Comment