5.05.2009

el sarape (cinco de mayo!)

Well, to celebrate Cinco De Mayo, I of course ate Americanized Mexican food. Personally, I do not like sit-down Mexican restaurants. I find them too much alike and much too bland. I prefer taco shops and taco trucks. I have a list of favorites to choose from (Trujillo's, Cotija's, Cotixan, Santana's), but since a bad back has semi-immobilized me, I had to find a place closer to La Mesa.

As I headed out, I noticed sit down restaurants Por Favor and Mario's were unsurprisingly packed to the gills. But I was headed to El Sarape. No, not the popular El Zarape in University Heights, El Sarape. I do dig the fish tacos and the lobster burrito at Zarape, but otherwise I think it's one of the more overrrated taco shops in San Diego (the carne asada is terrible - really chewy). El Sarape on the other hand, nobody seems to know about. I've yet to be disappointed by a meal there. Tonight, I ordere d the El Sarape burrito. Guacamole + salsa + sour cream + carne asada + chorizo = Happy Cinco De Mayo!

Yes, that's grease coming out. Awesomeness. Also, their hot sauce is outstanding. Extremely hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment