5.19.2009

newsflash: 'prison break' is a fictional show

I don't understand the "no Guantanamo detainees in my backyard prison" nonsense. If you are worried that an alleged* terrorist is in a prison near you, well, there are likely brutal murderers and rapists in that same prison, yet people seem to be cool with that. I think I know why, too, because it's a prison.
 
In Lemoore, where I grew up, there are three prisons within a forty five minute drive, and many more if you expand that radius slightly. One of them, Corcoran (which is actually two prisons), houses Charles Manson and Sirhan Sirhan. I never really worried about them. Because they were in prison.  
 
Plus, if you take a hardline position on treatment of detainees, good news! Our prisons have been torturing inmates for years. See? You cannot lose. Solitary confinement will drive them mad, but putting them in the general population will probably have Dahmer-esque results.
 
If the U.S. prison system can handle Timothy McVeigh, Charles Manson, I'm sure it can handle some alleged* Al-Qaeda riff raff.
 
 
 
*I use "alleged" not because I think the detainees are not terrorists and/or Al Qaeda members, I'm positive many are. I use it because I'm just as positive that some are not.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment