12.23.2009

the neighbors - i'm no gentleman (1995 delux)



Back in the day I drove down to Bakersfield from Fresno to see The Queers play a pizza shop. There was a band from San Diego playing, Flounder (they later evolved into Spazboy, I believe). I was chatting to one of the Flounder dudes about San Diego, and he keeps emphasizing that I must check out The Neighbors, who he insists is the best band in San Diego. So I picked up the Punk Sucks comp, and I'll be damned if didn't have the best song on that damned comp (FYP & Everready come in 2nd & 3rd). And from that day I was a fan of The Neighbors. Moving to San Diego, I got to see them a lot, and was sad when they broke up.

The Neighbors were one of the more under appreciated bands in San Diego. The GSL and Che Cafe crowds never seemed to acknowledge them (I could very well be wrong about this, apologies if so), but they didn't fit into the Blink 182/Unwritten Law scene that was going on either. 

This 7-inch is very good, but it's much, much tamer than the stuff they would later release (all these songs were rerecorded, and appear on the first LP). Each Neighbors release becomes more and more brutal. So if you like this, you will like everything else they did. If you don't like this, you will still probably like everything else they did.
  1. Thanks
  2. Poor Country
  3. Stuck Up Bands
  4. Shut Up
  5. I'm No Gentleman
  6. Nothing Has Changed
  7. Soul
DL 'GENTLEMAN'

3 comments:

  1. wow. i can't believe someone else thought the everready and fyp tracks were in the top three on punk sucks.

    we're like the same person.

    i'm not with you on the neighbors track, tho. it just didn't sit with me. i'll have to give it another listen now...

    thanks for upping this. i'm excited to check out more from them, even if i didn't like the one song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except for the vegan part, at least.

    The Neighbors track is sooo good. The faster versions they did later are a lot better, but the punk sucks one is still good. Try to find their full lengths, you won't be sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The neighbors rule !!! What a band !! esp. the lp !!(negative attraction)

    ReplyDelete