8.25.2010

casa de pico

One of my biggest pet peeves with San Diegans is their obsession with shitty Mexican restaurants. You live in San Diego! There's awesome Mexican food everywhere! So why do you keep telling out-of-towners to go to Old Town Mexican Cafe, Cafe Coyote, etc (btw, if you're from out of town, dining-wise, stay away from Old Town). Casa De Pico is one of those restaurants. It actually used to be in Old Town, but now it's in La Mesa. So why would I go there? Well, it's close to where I live, and, more importantly, they have Entertainment coupons. It's also slightly better than OTMC and its ilk.

I got the Chicken Mole Enchiladas. Nothing mind-blowing, but they were pretty good. Rice and beans were pretty blah. Oh, here's something I did. For reasons I can't quite comprehend, I thought that the pepper on top of the enchilada was a pepperocini? Why would I think a Mexican place would have a pepperocini on their food? Anyways, I ate it, and lo and behold, it was not a pepperocini. I do not know what exact type of chile it was, but it took about three glasses of water to balance out my mistake.


If you do find yourself at a tourist trap Mexican restaurant, here's some advice. Never go with the salsa they bring out. It's meant for the gringo-est of gringos. No heat at all, and very watery. I'm sure someone from Iowa (no offense) would be thrilled, but it's really not good. You have to ask if they have any house salsa that is hotter. Then they'll bring out the real stuff. To Casa De Pico's credit, theirs is pretty darn hot and tasty. Look at those seeds!


I'd probably never go if I didn't have a coupon, but I did have a coupon, so I went. That's the M.O. of a cheap bastard.

4 comments:

  1. love the food pics and writing.

    are you taking requests for places to review?

    i'mma be in north park for a weekend, looking for some good Mexican food recommendations. restaurants, food trucks, taco stand, i don't care so long as the food's good.

    and don't worry about the vegan thing. i'll worry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Testa. Mariscos German taco truck. SUper Cocina. Mama's Lebanese Bakery. Caffe Carpe Diem. Bronx Pizza. Lefty's Pizza. The Linkery (might be your best bet). Lots of gourmet food trucks have been in North Park at night (Tabe BBQ, MIHO Gastrotruck, Dave DeJour). Sucks I'm gonna miss out on an awesome weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you crack me up... I have never been to old town or the gas lamp but everyone tells me to go there... my old band once stayed in a hotel in National City it was a good place to buy drugs... I would recommend it

    I love Mexican food but I agree about the salsa that is meant for Sri Lankan & white people it is no good

    Veganboy... you got to check out Pokez if you are a fellow non meat eater... I've had better but it kicks ass any way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I don't understand the Pokez thing. Had breakfast there with some out-of-town vegan friends. It was okay, but everyone raves about it and I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete