9.14.2010

mama testa

I've been going to Mama Testa since 2004, so in a typical punk rock manner, I feel a little dismayed by its current popularity. "I was listening to Green Day eating at Mama Testa when they were on Lookout! a struggling restaurant." It's obnoxious, I know, but there it is. I think Mama Testa's current popularity derives in part because they were able to beat Bobby Flay in a fish taco Throwdown. Now, seeing as though can't help but order mojados every time I go, I didn't even realize they had fish tacos. So last time we went, I made sure to try them.


They are actually catfish tacos. They are served in a crispy shell, which is odd for a San Diego fish taco. It's topped by queso fresco and "Mexican cole slaw". Definitely a different twist on a fish taco. The big question is: Was it good? Yeah, it was good. But I don't see how Bobby Flay lost. This was really good, but not even close to the best fish taco in San Diego. That would be the Marlin Taco at Marisco's German.

2 comments:

  1. looks yummy how are the options for vegetarians?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most stuff has meat, but there are plenty of veggie options, clearly marked on their menu, for example, Potato Tacos, Guacamole Tacos, Nopales Tacos and Pobalano Tacos Yum.

    ReplyDelete