12.29.2011

you're never gonna be ok

In the CD/mp3 age, whenever I listen to an album, I always seem to focus on the first few songs. By the time I get to the second half of the record, I'm listening about half as closely as I was at first. It creates the opportunity for great songs to be "lost" on the second half of a record. This is partly the fault of CD's and mp3 playlists that don't need to be "flipped" (the concept of "sides" might be the worst thing about the demise of vinyl and tapes, and may be partly behind the revival of both). So sometimes it's not until much, much later, that I realize one of those "lost" songs is actually one of the highlights of the album. I mention this because of track 9 of 12 on In Desolation.




Yes, I've posted this before, but dammit this is a great song.

2 comments:

  1. i was thinking abotu this very thing about two hours ago while listening to Red City Radio's The Dangers Of Standing Still. great songs at the end of the CD, but i rarely hear them.

    i think it also has to do with the ability/function of CD's to be played straight through. it's rare that i have time to listen to 74 minutes or even 60 minutes in one stretch, but half an LP? all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous13:01

    i like every song on that record. best record to come out on epitaph in 10 years or more!

    ReplyDelete