3.21.2012

r.i.p. pudwacker

Pudwacker was the name I gave to my Zune (the Zune software allows you to name your Zune). I know there's at least one reader out there who will agree with me when I say that the for playing music, the Zune dominated the iPod in every way. Laugh if you want, but it's true. So anyways, last week I was cruising around with my Zune playing and the sunroof open, enjoying another beautiful San Diego day. I come home, park in the driveway, and forget to close the sunroof. Wouldn't you know it, the worst storm of the season blows in a few hours later, and dumps all sorts of rain right in to my car, where both my Zune and Kindle Fire are. The Kindle Fire survived, but it looks like the Zune did not. So what do I do now? Ever since Microsoft announced they would no longer make the Zune, the price has risen, and I don't feel comfortable paying the prices people are asking, no matter how great it is. I am NOT going the iPod route, because the only punk rock thing I have going anymore is my refusal to join the Apple cult (don't worry though, I've sold out in every other conceivable way). I see the make 64GB microSD cards that I could put in my EVO 4G, which would work since I only had about 40gb filled on the Zune, Those are about $120n though, so I'd like to see the price drop before buying. So, faithful readers (or more accurately reader), give me some advice. Is there another high capacity (64gb +) player on the market I should look into? Should I spring for the SD card? Should I join the Apple cult (only if there's a way to avoid iTunes of course)? Or should I just by another Zune? What would you do?

1 comment:

  1. I ran into the same problem 2 months ago. The 4gb Zune that I used exclusively in my car died a horrible death. Replacing it was too expensive. iPod was not a sane option. My solution:

    I took the $150 I was going to spend on a Zune HD, and replaced my car stereo with one that would work with Bluetooth. Now I use the Zune built into my windows phone to Bluetooth connect to my stereo . Problem solved.

    I don't regs the choose at all. Phone Zune isn't quite as cool as a Zune HD would have been, but I always have my music with me now, and I get to keep using the Zune software to manage my music collection. My suggestion to you...pick up a refurbed windows phone.

    ReplyDelete