6.05.2010

miho gastrotruck

So, apparently food wagons are the next big trend in San Diego. The new kid on the block is the MIHO Gastrotruck.



I was pretty eager to check it out based on the menu.


It was parked in North Park, next top Bird Park. There was a decent crowd. Ordering was a little slow but the food was served relatively quickly.


Today, I went with the Cheeseburger and the potato croquettes.

Croquetas with saffron aioli:

At $2.75, I was a bit underwhelmed, quantity-wise. Taste-wise, they probably would have been pretty good if they were cooked all the way through, but alas, they were not. I'll pass on these next time.

Cheeseburger:


Burger is grass-fed Estancia beef, white cheddar, butter lettuce (which I removed - don't like lettuce on my burgers), caramelized onions, and harissa aioli on brioche. The onions were not caramelized to the degree I like (Luc's Bistro in Poway has me spoiled in that department), but the burger was cooked perfectly and was tasty. Was it $7 from a truck tasty? Probably not. I think highlighting the quality of the ingredients and making them sound so fancy at some point has diminishing returns. Expectation get built up and they are usually not met. Then again, I'm getting good food from a freaking truck. Luckily, the burger was good enough to make up fro the undercooked croquetas.

Three great things about MIHO. 1) It's brand new and will probably just get better. 2) The menu will constantly be changing. I will definitely be going back to try some of the other menu items (Poutine!). 3) The guys and gals running this enterprise are super friendly and seem genuinely excited about their endeavor.

 If you see the MIHO van in your area, give it a shot. Just remember your food is coming from a truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment