11.19.2006

Tenacious D

I don’t like ‘em.

I should like them. They were “discovered” by David Cross, of whom I am a huge fan. I like Jack Black in most of his non-Tenacious D stuff. Kyle Gass is pretty likable too. They do the whole alt-comedy thing that I usually like. Yet, it just doesn’t work for me.

I’ve simply never thought they were funny. Mildly humorous? Sure. And it’s not an “I liked them and then they got popular so now I hate them” type of thing either. It’s also not a “You just don’t get it, man” type of thing. I do get it. It’s just not that funny. It's a cute gimmick that wears after about four minutes, yet they have this huge career out of it.

In these situations, I always assume that I am right, and they are truly not funny, yet people pretend that they are funny so they’ll seem hip. Kind of like the Dane Cook thing, although I have to apologize to Tenacious D for mentioning them in the same breath as that shitbag.

So am I right? Is Tenacious D actually funny, or is it marketing? What am I missing?

1 comment:

  1. I think they suck big time. Someone game me free passes to the movie and I turned them down...

    ReplyDelete