3.01.2008

mike conley, r.i.p

M.I.A. was one of the most overlooked, underrated bands of the early 80's U.S. punk scene. I was shocked and saddened to read this.
As the frontman for the Orange County hardcore punk band MIA, Michael Conley raged against war, racism and the isolation of modern life on stage alongside other legendary acts in the 1980s like the Dead Kennedys and Social Distortion.

“Life’s a mess, you gotta face it, if you’re not a millionaire it’s hard to make it, I’m a mess, that’s for sure,” Conley sang in one song....

Conley, a father of three, died in suburban Chicago Thursday after he was found suffering a major head wound in a motel parking lot near O’Hare International Airport. Cook County Sheriff’s deputies are investigating. Investigators are waiting for the results of toxicology tests after an autopsy was done. He was 48 years old.
This, combined with the recent passing of Lance Hahn of J Church, Sean Finnegan of Void, and many others over the past few years, has cast a dark cloud over the punk community. It is odd that I take these deaths of punk rockers so personally. I didn't know them, but it's sort of like they spoke (and continue to speak) for me. They said the things I was to uncreative to say. All my emotions and thoughts set to music. In a strange way, they are a part of who I am, and a part of thousands of others. I hope each and every one of them realized that at some point.

Rest in peace, Mike.

M.I.A - Small Man In A Big World
M.I.A. - Tell Me Why
M.I.A. New Left

No comments:

Post a Comment