6.07.2009

the hangover

I saw The Hangover Saturday night. I can't remember the last time I went to a movie that was actually sold out, but this one was. So I wasn't surpised to see it take the #2 spot over the weekend, managing to beat Land Of The Lost (btw, Chiller had a LOTL marathon this weekend and holy shit was that the lamest show ever [sober, at least] - I cannot fathom how it justified a movie. What's next? Steve Carrell in H.R. Pufenstuf?).

The movie was very funny. Ed Helms and Zack Galifianakis fuel the movie. In fact my only major complaint is that the part of the best man was completely miscast. The role, "Phil," is played by Bradley Cooper, and he comes across as a total, unsympathetic douche. I hated the guy from the moment he appeared on screen. Thing is, I can't tell if I hate the character or Bradley Cooper himself. I'm sure he's a nice guy in real life, but every time I see him, I think of the jackass boyfriend in Wedding Crashers (the only other movie of his I've seen). Maybe the character was designed to be a douche, I don't know. But I kept thinking how different, and how awesome, the role would have been if played by Vince Vaughn. I know VV would have demanded a ton of money, and I know he probably would not want to be associated with another Vegas or wedding movie. But still, no offense to Bradley Cooper, he would have pushed The Hangover from "Very Funny" to "All-Time Classic". Should have backed up the Brinks truck.

The movie ends on a high note, which elicited a standing ovation in the theater. Keep your eyes out for a shot that I can't believe is actually real, and if it is, HOLY SHIT.

Hopefully, the success of the movie will lead to more opportunities for Helms and Galifianakis, and hopefully they pick and choose future endeavors carefully and ignore crap like Land Of The Lost movies.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous15:44

    right. cooper was playing that typical movie role that vince vaughn describes perfectly in swingers. the guy that "your not sure if you like him or not." no one can play that part like vaughn can. i used to not like vince vaughn, but when i saw swingers and he said that, i was like, damn, i feel that way 'bout you. that line was no accident. did you notice how they tried to redeem cooper's character at the wedding by showing that....(sarcasm) deep down he loved his wife and kids and was just kidding when he said "i hate my life, i may never go back." well fuck you! no redemption, here bitch! i agree, vaughn woulda made it better. still good though.

    ReplyDelete