12.12.2010

surrender all your dreams to me tonight

This may or may not be the NyQuil talking:

So, you know how you go through that phase where you determine what you like and what you don't like and it kind of defines who you are and what you're about? Well, for punks, or punk fans to be more specific [since while I love punk and have a quasi-punk ethos, I never really fit in with the punks or considered myself one, and yes, Boxcar is my favorite song], this process often requires an outright rejection of all the pop music you grew up with. And I'm only now realizing how fucking stupid that is. I could go into the what's and why's and an in-depth of analysis, but fuckit: Basically, what I'm trying to say, is "Shadows Of The Night" is a fucking awesome song and I make no apologies. It deserves its own "Don't Stop Believin'" type resurrection. There I said it.


Pat Benatar - Shadows Of The Night
Uploaded by jpdc11. - Explore more music videos.

3 comments:

  1. to be fair to your "i reject all things pop" ethos, pat benatar definitely had something all those other singers/bands didn't.

    also, without the pop crap that's on the radio, there can be no anti-pop, which is how i tend to think of punk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. convertido11:04

    Just a random note not really related to your point. Just a note, that this was the first time I heard the song in years. My older sister bought the 45 (single), years ago. She played the hell out of it, to the point where I could literally here it in my sleep. By in large I hated her taste in music. She did, however, give me my first punk tape. she was dating a guy into punk and when they broke up she gave me all the tapes he gave her. At 13 hearing the opening line to "I kill Children" by the DK's really scares the shit out of me. But for whatever reason, I felt something natural about the music more so than the Iron Maiden and AC/DC records I loved. Looking back, perhaps she was not that annoying. Thanks for jarring my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a KISS fan when I was little, and my sister tortured me with Leif Garret records. She did introduce me to Billy Squier though, and "Don't Say No" is stilla guily pleasure of mine.

    ReplyDelete