5.01.2022

The Northman

Saw The Northman, my first movie theatre experience since 2019. It was....good? Ish? Definitely not the movie I was expecting to see - I was expecting more history and less mythology, but that's on me. Visually, Robert Eggers again delivers. Very glad I saw this in Imax or Titan XC or whatever the hell it's called. 

My only real problem was with casting. I realize to get a movie with this sort of budget greenlit, you are going to have to get some A-Listers on board. Alexander Skarsgård and Claes Bang were excellent. Nicole Kidman and Ethan Hawke were fine (I think? I'm not the one to determine how convincing their accents were). But in the streaming age, a lot of people are now very comfortable watching movies in native tongues and reading subtitles. And those same people are aware that there are great actors around the world. So would I have preferred The Northman to be in Norse with an all Scandinavian (looking at you Sidse Babett Knudsen and Pilou Asbæk [Yes, I loved Borgen]) cast? Yes. Would that movie have ever actually been made? No. 

Suddenly want to listen to Immortal tho....


No comments:

Post a Comment