9.10.2009

everready - county transit system (1995 mutant pop)


If I told you
how much I hated you
would you still want me?

One of the sucky things about living in San Diego is that when most people think of San DIego punk bands, they think of fucking Blink-182 and Unwritten Law when they should be thinking about the Zeros. About Battalion Of Saints. About Unbroken. About The Neighbors. And yes, about Everready.

Everready were San Diego's answer to Green Day, only drunker and more honest (and better, I would argue - certainly better than the post 1995 Green Day). I understand why they didn't make it big (not they they cared about that sort of thing), but the lack of respect and rememberance of them does grate. They were a great fucking band. Recognize.

This record was played a lot, so it's a bit scratchy at times. But that's the sign of a special record. This version of "Dum-E" is in my top 5 Everready songs.

I previously posted the "Getting Smarter" EP.

  1. County Transit System
  2. I'm A Boy
  3. Dum-E 
last.fm

DOWNLOAD 'COUNTY TRANSIT SYSTEM'

2 comments:

  1. Matt10:54

    Having stepped away from the punk scene for a solid decade, I was kind of surprised when a whole lot of nothing turned up on a thorough google search for Everready.

    Now that I think of it, the band did occupy a strange place... being way too harsh, drunk, and sloppy for the pop-punk set and too hook-driven and genuine for the MRR hardcore kids. Not to mention the lyrics, which in the "stay-positive" 90's punk scene were a lone voice of pessimism... reminding me of some soft of combination of Born Against's bitter disenchantment and The Stooges knack for repetition. This shit ain't Green Day...

    O.K., I'll stop before I embarrass myself. Great band. Great single. Larry from the zine Genetic Disorder is on the the record. El Vatos Locos is a punk classic awaiting rediscovery. Anyone know what Brian Ready is up to these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's any doubt if they were from the East Bay they would have been bigger (and Tiltwheel, and the Neighbors, etc). Brian's voice plus the hooks is what reminds me of Green Day. But I agree, it's probably a comparison left unmade.

    I also wonder what Brain is up to. Everyone else is reuniting, a reunion show would be awfully cool.

    ReplyDelete