2.03.2011

colavision - joan of arcwelding (1993 mutant renegade / rinso)


This may be a stretch, but to me, 3/4 of this sounds sounds like Doc Corbin Dart from the Crucifucks singing for a slowed down Fat Day. Ah, the Midwest (Colavision were from Dayton, OH). The other 1/4 "Johnny Walks On The Right" sounds not like that at all, in fact sounds like a punk rock version of Cuts Like A Knife-era Bryan Adams. Weird. I fucking love the song "Ford".

And yeah, that's a custom made aluminum foil cover.

Rad stuff. You can read more about Colavison at I Remember Dayton (I ripped my own copy - didn't swipe theirs).

  1. Problem #11
  2. Ford
  3. Johnny Walks On The Right
  4. No Damn Cat, No Damn Cradle


5 comments:

  1. I have this record! I can honestly say I haven't heard it in decades either. Great find!

    Mutant renegade was the label used by the Dayton, OH's Oxymorons...and I put the Oxy's on a comp record I did back in the day: http://subrec.com/records/piledriver/index.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting, and thanks for including the link to the CD-quality version on my blog.

    The Bryan Adams comparison for "Johnny Walks on the Right" kind of hurt at first. But as I think more about it, it doesn't bother me so much -- and maybe it's even accurate. ;-) Still, it's one of my favorite songs I ever wrote, and I still play it sometimes at the occasional acoustic show.

    Thanks again for posting. I'm always glad to see Colavision pop up somewhere on the net.

    take care

    ---Jones()

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bryan Adams thing was surely not meant as a dig, it was actually a compliment. I non-ironically really like the first Bryan Adams record! It was anthemic, as I think Johnny Walks on the Right is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FORD is hands down one of the top 10 rock and roll songs to come out of Dayton OH.....period. I would squeeze it in between any of the singles by Brainiac, GBV, The Breeders, et al and have a hard time picking a superior cut. I consider myself fortunate to have picked up a secondhand copy....can't believe someone would let go of such a rare piece of vinyl
    treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FORD is hands down one of the top 10 rock and roll songs to come out of Dayton OH.....period. I would squeeze it in between any of the singles by Brainiac, GBV, The Breeders, et al and have a hard time picking a superior cut. I consider myself fortunate to have picked up a secondhand copy....can't believe someone would let go of such a rare piece of vinyl
    treasure.

    ReplyDelete