3.25.2006

R.I.P. Buck Owens


I didn't discover Buck Owens until a redneck punk band I dig (Nine Pound Hammer) did a cover of Adios, Farewell, Goodbye, Good Luck, So Long. I soon discovered there was more to the man than hosting Hee Haw. Mainly, a lot of great music.

So, Buck Owens, Adios, Farewell, Goodbye, Good Luck, So Long.
Honky-tonk star Buck Owens, who sold more than 16 million albums and popularised country entertainment on television, has died. He was 76.

Owens helped spread the twangy "Bakersfield sound" as an antidote to Nashville's slick country music.

A song Owens made a hit, Act Naturally, was recorded by the Beatles with Ringo Starr on vocals in 1965, the same year that Ray Charles enjoyed a Top 10 pop hit with a cover of Owens' Cryin' Time.

Creedence Clearwater Revival mentioned Owens in the song Looking Out My Back Door, and the Grateful Dead cited him as a major influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment