6.13.2014

pop goes the world

I'm just very confused right now.

The first time I heard the song "Pop Goes The World" was in 1998. It was the Apocalypse Hoboken version from the 1999 album Inverse, Reverse, Perverse album. I knew it was a cover, but I didn't know the the original. Figured it was some obscure ditty from the 70's.

So, today I'm reading a post from Willfully Obscure, and it mentions that it was a Men Without Hats cover? Check YouTube. Yup, that's the song, and that's the "Safety Dance" dude. Check Wikipedia, and find out that a) Men Without Hats was Canadian (Sometimes I confused them with Men at Work and assumed they were Australian, sometimes I got confused by the folk [i.e. sackcloth and midgets] imagery of the "Safety Dance" video and assumed they were from England. It was a confusing time for me) 2) The song was released in 1987, and 3) it reached the top 20 in the United States.

I am a child of the 80's. While the late 80's were the filet of my carefree metal daze (Pinhead Circus made a video? I am learning so much today), I was still pretty enmeshed in popular/MTV culture. I'm not gonna win any 80's trivia quizzes, but I wouldn't embarrass myself either. What I am saying is there is no way this song could have possibly got past me. So what's really going on?




No comments:

Post a Comment