10.08.2006

R.I.P. 2006 Bulldogs, Padres, Yankees

Sports weekend in review:

Alright, let's begin with college football. I think I'm already done with college football for the year. Fresno State lost to Utah State, one of the worst teams in all of college football.

Losing to Oregon in Week 2? Well, Oregon is pretty good.

Losing to Washington in week 3? Man, really could've, should've have had that one.

Losing to Colorado State in week 4? Uhhh, guys? What the hell is going on?

Losing to Utah State in week 5? Lock up the medicine cabinet and razor blades!

The only lower point in Fresno State history that I can remember is when we got drilled by Northern Illinois 73-18 (We got revenge the next year, 55-7). I'll still pay attention to Fresno State and catch whatever games I can, but unlike most years, my Saturdays are now open. If there's something better to do, I'll do it.

On to baseball.

The Padres won saturday to force a game four. Yay! They lost game four. Boo! Too many mental mistakes, not enough offense. End of story. I was happy to see them get at least one win, and although I am disappointed, I'm not devastated or anything. It was a great year, and I'm already stoked for next year. Also, Albert Pujols is the best player in baseball, but Jesus, the umps do not call anything not down the middle of the plate a strike against him. His strike zone is about the size of a can of tuna. I also came away very impressed with Cards 2B Ron Belliard. He's a tubby dude dude who looks like he's Straight Outta Compton. We could get nothing by that pudgy fucker at 2B. If not for Pujols, he'd be the series MVP, just for his glovework.

So it was up to the Chargers to salvage anything from the weekend. They came up big time, beating the defending Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Martyball is hopefully dead and gone, as Phillip Rivers was on fire, awkward delivery and all. I watched this game at the Grad in Davis, since it and the Padres game were on at the same time, so I needed the double big screen effect. It is now official: Steelers fans are really, really, really, really, really, really obnoxious and annoying.

The other positives for the weekend came from who lost.

The Detroit Tigers eliminated the Yankees from the baseball playoffs, and whenever the Yankees lose, 3/4 of baseball fans are overjoyed and the world is a brighter, better place.

And the Raiders got trounced by the 49ers. Getting trounced by the 49ers in say, 1994, is completely forgiveable. In 2006, it's high fucking comedy.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, the Grad in Davis, my old stomping ground in college for watching WWE pay per views. Fun place. They had cute bartenders(GIRLS!).

    Go A's!

    ReplyDelete