1.23.2006

Alito and Abortion

Although the left has their panties in a bunch over the Supreme Court nomination, I’ve been pretty silent on the subject for a couple of reasons.

The first is that, while I find his views reprehensible, he is the nominee, so the Senate should grill him (which they didn’t do very well), then vote. Let the cards fall where they may. I actually do buy the Republican “up or down vote” (God, I hate that phrase) line, even though they are completely hypocritical about it (Harriet Myers, anyone?).

The second reason is that I think having an extremist court may be the best impetus for a national change of mood. It’s called overreach. Just like in Congress, where the people now get to see the result of handing the legislative branch to the Republicans is corruption on a massive scale, having the court tilt to the right will do much of the same thing. Can you imagine the uproar if the Court overturns Roe vs. Wade? Blue states will still allow abortions, and red states will prohibit them (they pretty much already are, passing regulatory rules aimed at abortion clinics, making them nearly impossible to operate). I’m a male in a blue state, so I can say this kind of thing without having to face the real life consequences. But I truly believe when the court overreaches on the issue, the backlash against Republicans will be felt for decades. While they may talk a good game, I have the feeling that most Republican strategists are aware of this, and are actually scared of the issue actually getting to the Supreme Court.

The Republicans are generally anti-abortion, and they control the Presidency, Congress, and will soon dominate the Supreme Court. So it’s time for them to put their money where their mouths are, and overturn Roe vs. Wade.

I fucking double dog dare them.

No comments:

Post a Comment