1.08.2006

Miners Vs. Murderers

Kinda weird, but there happen to be two huge stories involving men in comas. Who to focus my sympathy on?

Coma patient one is Randal McCloy, Jr. Mr. McCloy worked at the Sago mine, where 12 of his coworkers were killed after an explosion. McCloy survived, but is in an induced coma, and remains in critical condition.

Coma patient two is Ariel Sharon, Prime Minister of Israel. Sharon is also in an induced coma after suffering a stroke. I could go on and on about his accomplishments, but three words prevent me from thinking anything good about the man: Sabra and Shatila. In 1982, 800 people were massacred when Ariel Sharon, then Israeli Defense Minister, ordered Phalangist militiamen into the Sabra and Shatilla camps, where they, under Israeli supervision, carried out the massacre over two nights and a day.

I don't wish anyone ill, but I am fully capable of withholding sympathy.

Get well, Mr. McCloy.

No comments:

Post a Comment