2.13.2008

fear of success

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I know I've hit on this theme a lot, but things and people I root for just do not win. Between the Chargers, Padres, Sacramento Kings, and Fresno State Bulldogs, I have a 1963 AFL Championship and a 1998 NCAA Softball championship. Thats about it.

This losing streak of mine extends to politics. In my voting life, I supported Jerry Brown in 1992, Bill Bradley in 2000, and Howard Dean in 2004 (yes I voted for Clinton in '92 and '96, but only after Brown dropped out in '92, and there was no legit Clinton opposition in '96). All of 'em, losers.

So, now that Barack Obama is having so much success, it makes me rather nervous. I don't know how to deal with it, to tell you the truth. When friends and family tell me how they now support Obama, I respond with "uh, thanks", like somehow they are doing me a favor.

How do Yankees fans, Patriots fans, USC fans, and the like deal with this? I almost feel bad that my guy is winning. This losers mentality I have makes me feel like a Red Sox fan in early October '04. With any luck, in November '08 I'll know what a Red Sox fan circa November '04 felt like.

No comments:

Post a Comment