5.15.2021

Hilltop's Finest Noise: Music For The Average American (1997, no label)

Picked this up on a whim, as my wife teaches at the referenced school. Considering this is a compilation of bands with a nexus to Hilltop High School in Chula Vista, I was expecting this to be a heart-in-the-right-place-but-ultimately-embarrassing listen. But that's not the case. A rundown:

  • Alterna-metal ain't my bag, but Send It. do it well if it's your thing. 
  • Endure play some competent post-hardcore.  My favorite tracks on the album. 
  • The Half Wits are a ska (veering into ska-punk) band, which is usually a huge red flag for me. But I like this. "Proud American" is pretty great, assuming it's sarcastic, which I'm sure it is. If it was released today I don't think I would be so sure.  
  • With No Sympathy, we're back to the alt-metal, and again, not so bad. Kind of reminds me of Prong at times. 
  • Lazy Susan rounds things out,  90's influenced indie-rock with some groove. 

Overall, shockingly decent comp. The Hilltop Lancers have more to be proud about then their amazing English teachers. 

  1. Send It. - Alternate God
  2. Send It. - In Silence
  3. Send It. - Breathe
  4. Endure - Exit
  5. Endure - Control
  6. The Half Wits - Proud American
  7. The Half Wits - I Wish I Knew
  8. The Half Wits - Metro Ska Police
  9. No Sympathy - 619
  10. No Sympathy - Daddy's Li'l Girl
  11. No Sympathy - Broken People
  12. Lazy Susan - Serendipity
  13. Lazy Susan - Drain





No comments:

Post a Comment