5.09.2021

The Age Of Quarrel

The Age of Quarrel - Wikipedia

So I'm listening to 185 Miles South, and once again the subject of the brilliance of the Cro-Mags The Age Of Quarrel comes up. This is the default view, and I don't think I've ever seen it disputed. 

For real, can someone teach me how to listen to this album? It's been over 30 years and after multiple attempts, I still just don't get it. I do get that a lot of it is about a specific time and a place, and I do get it's influence on what was to come in NYC, but musically, what am I missing? I don't hate the album, but I feel left in the dark about what makes it so special. I'm sure this is a "me" problem, so help me out. I need a new perspective on how to approach this album. 

3 comments:

  1. This album changed my life on so many levels back in the day.
    The in-fighting & bent politics between the assorted players throughout the years have ruined the legacy of this, essentially, one-killer-record-and-then-trash, "band". yet Cro-Mags Ⓡ still beats that dead (vegan) horse in 2021 x2.
    It's a damn shame, but then again, NYHC has always had that chip on their shoulder.
    Take it for what it's worth - so solid riffs, killer drumming & the lyrics are what they are.
    I treasure this record so much that I never want to hear it again - if that makes any sense.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make sense. The drumming is the thing I always immediately notice on this. But if this was released today, I just don't know that it would be considered a classic. But I get it, at the time, it hit a lot of people exactly the right place at the exact right time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neal12:39

    i heard best wishes first (and still think it's a great crossover album) so when i did hear aoq, it sounded kind of weak in comparison. i think the demo version of aoq sounds a lot better, but i'm still not the biggest fan of it.

    ReplyDelete