9.09.2008

i dream of palin

I haven't been dreaming about Sarah Palin, which seems to be a weird phenomenon according to Slate and Yglesias, but I have had trouble going to sleep lately because of her. I'm not kidding.

When the Palin was first announced as a VP candidate, I thought it was a laughable attempt to get the Hillary voters. The chaos of the next few days made it that much more laughable. But now that things have settled down, I have to admit, I'm kind of worried. What I first dismissed as hilarious has morphed into genius political move on McCain's part. I shall underestimate McCain no more.

This is not to say that I think Palin is some special politician to be feared on her own merits. No, not at all. Her politics are as opposite of mine as they get (i.e. WRONG!). But if you were to ignore her politics...man, that is a likable woman. Not in the VPILF way either. She's just got something that makes you want to like her. I want to like her.  But then then you find out about her politics and her penchant to lie and well, the buzz gets killed.

But that's the thing; I have no proof, but it seems to me that most people follow politics, even in an election, pretty superficially.  I'm guessing that most people think she sold a jet on eBay and said "Thanks But No Thanks" to the Bridge to Nowhere, even though these things are demonstrably false. Most people have better things to do that obsessively monitor their Google Reader account for the latest political stories and blogs. They like Sarah Palin.  A lot. And it keeps me up at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment