9.01.2006

El Farolito, Save My Soul

Last week I had the privilege of going to El Farolito, a restaurant in the Mission District of San Francisco. More specifically, it's a dirty, run down taco shop in a dirty, run down part of town. And therein lies the magic. It ain't the best Mexican food I've had - San Diego taco shops will forever hold that crown - but it is pretty damn good, and brought back a flood of memories.

El Farolito was the subject of a song by my all-time favorite band, Hickey . And since I'm feeling nostaligic about El Farolito and Hickey, I pay tribute to both here.

Oh, I should probably mention, you won't like Hickey or this song. It's sloppy punk rock that will make you wonder why people who can't sing or play their instruments even bother. That's okay. You either get it or you don't, and there is no shame in not getting it.

Hickey - El Farolito
(Click to play, right click -> Save As to download)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
el farolito save my soul, it’s a long way back to mexico
and i don’t know if I’m ever gonna make it home.
you can sell whiskey to the indians
but ya can’t sell records with lyrics that offend
the parents of rich, white, suburban youth,
you can wunk me on the head with a 2x4
you can burn down a liquor store,
but no one’s gonna care in couple of years.
(rock guitar solo B)
viver esta perder lastimar. creo llamada enfermo manana,
soy enfermo del mundo y todo mi dinero comprar.
el farolito save my soul, it’s a long way back to mexico,
and i dunno if i’m ever gonna make it home,
you can sell whiskey to the indians
you can play lotto till the summer ends,
but you’ll never win.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty yummy. Have you had the tacos al pastor from the Taqueria on the corner of Sunrise and Greenback? Good shit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous14:52

    That's actually one of the greatest songs I've ever heard in my life. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not even sloppy. Thanks for posting this super clean track of Hickey's powerhouse song insipired by the time Aesop got wunked on the head during the SF aftermath of the Rodney King verdict. Honored to say I saw 'em play it live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous01:46

    Matty Luv!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous19:42

    This song was the theme to my whole adolescence! Thank you for posting it. Some junky stole my copy of the 7" back in '95. Boom!

    ReplyDelete