9.11.2006

September 11



I'd feel a little dumb writing about September 11. First, although I cried for a week and knew that the world had changed, I lost no one, and I witnessed from the opposite corner of the country, San Diego. It would be the height of disrespect to act like my life was altered even remotely as much as those affected directly by the attacks. Second, others have written far more movingly on the subject than I could over dream of doing. Third, I don't think today should be a day that we focus on the negative aspects, and that's probably where I would steer the conversation.

But it would also feel weird to write about something else today. And only slightly less weird to write nothing at all.

So I'll keep it brief and hopefully somewhat respectful.

About the attacks themselves:

I'm not normally one for sentimentality, and the fetishization of all firefighters and cops in the months following September 11th certainly bothered me, but I certainly feel the sacrifice of the NYPD and NYFD can never be understated. The night of September 11th, I remembered thinking there must be at least 10-15,000 dead. That there ended up being less than 3,000 is a tribute to their service.

So instead of focusing on the gloom and doom and assessing blame (which I am more than happy to do, just not today), I'm just going to try and remember how most of us came together. Here's to hoping it won't take a tragedy to have that happen again.

About our response:

I would urge everyone to seek out a copy of the new issue of The Atlantic. James Fallows makes a persuasive arguement that we've won the war against Al-Queda, and that the danger we face is not from terrorists, but from our reaction to terrorism, with Iraq being the best example. It's really good stuff, and Josh Marshall summarizes it up very well:
But what seems to me to be one of the greatest injuries of that day is the way we now sometimes seem to mistake optimism for pessimism and vice versa. Persistent fear and retreat from our own ideals and power isn't optimism. It is the deepest and most pernicious form of self-doubt. Yes, something terrible and unthinkable could happen tomorrow. But none of us has more than a probable claim to life from one day to the next. And as a country we are neither weak nor threatened. With apologies for a perhaps over-used line, I can't help thinking of Franklin Roosevelt's "firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."

Doesn't it have an uncanny claim on this moment?

So my regret for today is that the way that al Qaida has gamed us into doing great damage to ourselves. And my feeling of optimism is the sense that tide may at last be turning.
Finally, I'd like to address all those who accuse people of being un-American or seditious by questioning the decisions of our leaders in the post-September 11th period.
The men who create power make an indispensable contribution to the nation’s greatness. But the men who question power make a contribution just as indispensable, especially when that questioning is disinterested. For they determine whether we use power or power uses us. Our national strength matters; but the spirit which informs and controls our strength matters just as much.
-John F, Kennedy, October 27, 1963
Tomorrow, I promise whining, complaining, mockery, and Michelle Malkin bashing, but for now, I'm going to try and adhere to some semblence of the September 12th, 2001 spirit and shut up and be respectful for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment