9.03.2006

Rockstar: Superdouches



Not having cable anymore, I don't watch as much TV as I used to, so I don't really know what's going on TV-wise, even on the networks. But I did catch a commercial for Rockstar: Supernove. Now, I know that last year they had Rockstar: INXS, which was meant to replace the dead lead singer of INXS. So my first two thoughts are:

1) How they hell did Supernova get on network TV?

2) OMG did the lead singer of Supernova die?

You see, Supernova is this quirky little pop-punk band from Costa Mesa, California. Like most awesomely awesome, radically rad punk bands, they never made it big (although they did do "Chewbacca" on the Clerks soundtrack), but they do have a nice little fan base who love them. They are extremely fun, live, passing out sheets of tin foil to the audience before a show. Why? I don't know,something to do with their whole science fiction theme, but by the time the band takes the stage, everyone has made thier own tin-foil Supernova souveneir: Hats, belts, ties, whatever. They were all about fun, as you can see by the songs I provided, which are about Oreos, Mentos, and complaining about how hard math is.

So I was saddened to learn that the Supernova of the Rockstar variety is actually a "supergroup" consisting of Jason Newsted (Metallica), Gilby Clark (Guns N Roses), and Hugh Jacock, er I mean Tommy Lee (Motley Crue). Now, back in the days I sported the mullet, if you told me members of my favorite bands would be participating in a glorified karoake contest on national TV, I would have laughed, run my fingers through my mullet, and told you you were high. And then I'd tuck my acid washed jeans into my hightops.

"But there's already a Supernova!" I protested, "This is not fair! No justice, no peace!" So I rioted. And by rioted, of course, I mean I googled "Rockstar: Supernova" to see if the real Supernova had called out these sell-out imposters.

And hell yes, they have.

So keep the real Supernova in your thought as the fight the man. With lawyers and stuff. Punk fucking rock!

(download: right click -> save as)

Supernova - 15. Mentos.mp3
Supernova - 14. Math.mp3
Supernova - 02. Oreo.mp3

1 comment:

  1. I love the Rockstar Supernova show. But I have to agree that it is prettyw orng that they took someone's band name. Just wrong...

    ReplyDelete