8.20.2009

mim's grill

Based on a mmm-yoso!!! post, I was looking forward to getting some Southern food at Stockdales, but it was closed. Luckily, a few stores down in the strip mall, there was a place called Mim's Grill. I didn't know what it type of food they served or if they were even open for business yet.

I walked in and the place was obviously still being put together, but the kitchen was open and food was being cooked. Found out they serve Eastern African cuisine. No particular country was mentioned, and I'm not forward enough to ask. The menu consisted of salads, pasta dishes, a goat dish, some spaghetti dishes, and sandwiches (gyros and shawarma, mostly). I have no idea what authentic East African cuisine is, but this certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

Since I was on my way to work, I settled on a chicken shawarma sammich. It was a very good. Lots of white meat chicken and a very flavorful Tzatziki type sauce. My only complaint is that it could have used some sort of hot sauce on the side to give it a little more kick, and the bread seemed to be your standard tortilla. The thing that sets a good shawarma apart from a great shawarma (like the one's at Mama's) is the bread. You can't wuss out on the bread. My picture taking skills suck, but I promise you it looked and tasted good.


While I was waiting, the woman cooking the food (it's all in the open, it very much feels like a homemade meal) brought out one of the spaghetti dishes to another customer, and my, did it look good. Kind of hard to screw up spaghetti, I know, but I'm very interested to taste the Eastern African twist on it.

As I mentioned, I don't think this place is "officially" open yet, so I expect that the food, already good from what I know, will get better. I also expect the menu to expand and include a wider selection of  dishes exclusive to Eastern Africa. I know I will definitely be back. No shawarma can live up to Mama's, but for $5 and right down the street, Subway is about to lose a lot of my business. 


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment