8.07.2009

ooh, sexy girlfriend

Not that I condone fascism, or any -ism for that matter. -Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me." Good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people. 
-Ferris Bueller

I don't know if you'll ever hear John Hughes' name mentioned along with Scorcese, Ford, Hitchcock, and Kubrick, but you should. He was an all time great. His movies weren't arty, or provactive, or pituresque, they were just damn good, and damn funny. As a teenager, I never felt I was being pandered or marketed to, and I think his movies stand the test of time.



I never saw (or at least I don't remember) She's Having A Baby, Uncle Buck or Curly Sue, but the rest of the movies he directed - Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, and Planes, Trains & Automobiles - those are all classics. Not "arguably" - there's no argument to be had. Classics, pure and simple.

Plus, he was a writer for Vacation, European Vacation (which me and SC both claim is better than the original), and Christmas Vacation.

Sad day for movie lovers aged 34-44.

1 comment:

  1. Um, i'm 33 and I fall into this category!!!

    ReplyDelete