7.27.2010

high 'n' dry

FoodCourtLunch has the answer to the question "What is the greatest Def Leppard album of all time" wrong. Very wrong. So completely wrong that I'm inclined to think I'm dreaming right now. The answer is definitely not Hysteria, which is a shitty, shitty record devoid of the soul of the first two records. An overpolished turd.  But it's not Pyromania, either. Now, don't get me wrong, Pyromania is a damn fine rock 'n' roll record, no doubt. An album that pretty much defined 6th grade for me. Contains arguably the best Def Leppard song ever ("Foolin'"). And the beginning of "Rock Of Ages"? Eepen Gleepen Gloppen Globben? He's saying "We're coming to Fresno", backwards. I swear it's true. Someone in 6th grade said so. But High 'n' Dry (1984 re-issue with "Me And My Wine") is easily the best Def Leppard record. 





4 comments:

  1. Who are you? First I thought you stole my record collection, but now I'm thinking you might be a half brother I never knew about.

    My first arena rock concert was Def Lep & Billy Squire. It was the first Pyromania tour...before that album really took off (it would have to be with them opening for Billy Squire). I can't agree more about High n' Dry.

    On through the night showed what they were capable of. High n' Dry really showed what they could do, and Pyromania was the album that everyone else caught on to, and everything after that would be a futile effort to live up to the mega0-hit album. (I think that same thing could be said about the Offspring's albums as well).

    At least I can pretend some superiority in knowing that my baseball team has a better stadium than yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petco is pretty nice...Is MN's stadium that nice? Even without cool ocean breezes and fish tacos? Maybe I'll have to road trip.

    God, I loved Billy Squire. I need to go buy Don't Say No.

    For the record, my first concert, Motley Crue and Autograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. High 'n' Dry w/o a doubt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new Target Field is really nice for an urban stadium. If you've seen the Rockies stadium, they stole many of the best features from it, and improved on it. The bad part is that they managed to shove a baseball stadium on a postage stamp downtown. About the only thing they didn't get right was the restaurants. They should have been accessible from outside, and had a view of the field. Really great park.

    If you ever make it up here, let me know and we can go grab beer.

    ReplyDelete