6.13.2009

buchanan

Sometimes Pat Buchanan confuses me. We all know he's a right-wing racist, but there are times, epsecially when he's discussing foreign policy, that he mutes the racism (or merely refocuses it) and sounds reasonable to me. I guess it's not, pardon the pun, black or white. But then, I have to reconcile his racism towards minorities in America with his general support of Palestinians. It doesn't really make sense, unless you think that maybe Buchanan doesn't so much support Palestinians as he hates Jews, which is not exactly a crazy notion.

But having to actually think about the sometimes hypocritical positions of Pat Buchanan gives me a headache. Therefore I prefer the old, easy-to-hate, openly racist Pat Buchanan. At least he was honest, and not, as Abraham Lincoln observed, adulterated “with the base alloy of hypocrisy."

And as it turns out, the old Pat is back, if he really ever went away.

[eschaton]

No comments:

Post a Comment