8.10.2010

las cuatro milpas

I've probably heard more good things about Las Cuatro Milpas than any other taco shop in town, so it's kind of surprising that my first visit was Friday.

It's a real stripped down place. Just a counter, a really sparse menu, and sort of a Soup Nazi vibe. Like, I honestly didn't know where to order or what my choices were. I was scared of getting banned, come back one year, next! 

So I ordered a pork burrito. Yes, the menu said pork. Not carnitas. The burrito was pretty straightforward. Pork, cotija cheese, and a little bit of lettuce. Normally lettuce in a burrito is a cardinal sin for me, but in this case, there was a minimal amount included just for a little texture, so I was fine. As a whole, the burrito was just okay. But the tortilla was really good.


And the hot sauce was excellent. I was a little scared of it, to tell you the truth. Lots of seeds, a sinister red color, and a little sheen of oil on top. It wasn't as hot as I was expecting, but it was hot, and very good.


I also heard a lot about their beans with chorizo, so I got some of that, too, because I am a disgusting pig. Also very good, but not as good as the beans with longaniza that my best friend's mother-in-law makes.


All in all, I liked Las Cuatros Milpas, and will most likely return. It'll take a few more visits before I can decide whether the hype is justified. So far I'm leaning towards "not really", but maybe the rolled tacos will change that.

1 comment:

  1. when I'm back in your area I will try it as well...

    ReplyDelete