8.18.2006

Killing An Arab

Every year when Bush goes on one of his 30 or so vacations, the White House feels compelled to issue his reading list, like somehow we give a fuck. First of all, I don’t care. Second of all, I don’t believe for a second he is reading any of the books mentioned. Third of all, I don’t care.

Now let’s get back to second of all. If I don’t think he reads the book list, then why do I think they issue it in the first place? Well, my paranoid suspicion is that it is intended to be a subliminal clue into Bush’s mind. Which is why I find it awfully weird that The Stranger by Albert Camus is on the list.

For starters, there’s no fucking way Bush is reading French existentialist literature. But more creepy is that the Cliff’s notes version of The Stranger is as follows:

Guy, for no real reason, kills an Arab (hence the title of The Cure song), shows absolutely no remorse, and as he is to be executed for his deed, hopes upon hope to be hated for his actions. The last line of the book:
For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate.
Hmmmm. What message is being sent here? Kill innocent Arabs and show no remorse, and rejoice in the hate you receive from it? A few weeks ago when Bush wouldn't shut up about eating a pig, I joked that he was doing it purposely to offend Muslims. Now I'm starting to think I was on to something.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really uplifting book. I had never heard of the White House releasing Bush's reading list. I don't buy it either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous09:23

    Actually, that's not what the book is about at all. Camus shows us how absurd life is, partially by showing us how absurd racism is.

    ReplyDelete