8.29.2006

Here We Are Now, Entertain Us

So, my Reagan-loving, gay-bashing, Jesus freak of a co-worker informed me of his love of Dave Matthews Band. This was surprising, as this co-worker shows nothing but disdain for anything and anyone that's to the left of, oh say Hitler, and I know that Dave Matthews views definitely skew to the left. But, hey, music is music, maybe he sees past party ID when it comes to music. So I recommended that he pick up an album I’ve been enjoying lately, Bruce Springsteen’s We Shall Overcome.

Bad idea.

My suggestion was met with a hateful glare, as he informed me that he hated Bruce Springsteen because of the Boss’ liberal activism. So, I mentioned that Dave Matthews was a leftie, and even played with Bruce Springsteen at a series of shows in support of John Kerry in 2004.

Oops. I think I may have ruined DMB for him.

But it got me thinking: If you’re a Republican, devoted to the Republican cause, and unwilling to support any “liberals”, well, then what do you do for entertainment? After all, the entertainment industry is pretty much liberal dominated, so what bands do you listen to? What movies do you go see?

For me, being the lefty that I am, it’s easy to hate bands and actors who are conservative, because, well, there just ain’t that many of them. And the those that do exist are pretty awful anyways. I mean Christ, have you heard that "Swing Batter Swing" song? I swear to God, the first time I did I blushed out of embarassment for that guy. And music. And America.

Okay, so let's think about this. Basically, on the Republican side you have all "new country" minus the Dixie Chicks, Bruce Willis, Ted Nugent, Arnold Schwarzenegger, um who else? Ron Silver, Dennis Miller...there's gotta be more. But the bottom line is I could be happy the rest of my life not hearing a song or seeing a movie by any of them.

My compadres on the left may be fruity sometimes, but at least they can write a decent song that doesn't involve Little League chants.

Oh, and I was dead serious about the Bruce Springsteen album (it's covers of Pete Seeger stuff). Download a track:

Bruce Springsteen - O Mary Don't You Weep

4 comments:

  1. I actually don't let personal views get in the way of my entertainment. I am Catholic yet, still see Marilyn Mason as one of my favorite artists. I find it hilarious that your coworker may never listen to DMB again.

    But seriously man, because of their views, you might not go see an Arnold or Bruce Willis movie? The horror!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, love the Nirvana title...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, I don't really give a shit about that kind of thing. It just so happens they (mostly) make crap movies I wouldn't go see even if they were Democrats.

    ReplyDelete