8.25.2006

The Phantom Menace

Back in 2002, when there was grumblings about attacking Iraq, it confused me, as I thought that we were not quite out of the woods in Afghanistan yet. I foolishly assumed that all of our resources should be devoted to a nation-building project there to ensure it didn't backslide back into an Al-Qaeda refuge. But no, now it was all Iraq all the time. Iraq, Iraq, Iraq.

"Um, guys, what about Afghani-"

"IRAQ!IRAQ!IRAQ!IRAQ!IRAQ!"

So, since now Iraq had suddenly become such an issue, the question was: why? Well, now we know all the reasons given to us, WMD and ties to Al Qaeda, were lies and exaggerations. Many people knew this beforehand, but their voices of reason, logic and, uh, facts were drowned out by the constant fear mongering. Iraq was a pitiful country with a weak leader that was fully contained, yet we were led to believe it was the number one threat to the future of civilization.

So now, all I hear about is how the situation regarding Iran is a "crisis" that must be dealt with immediately. Um, why? Nevermind the notion of fixating on Iran while still bogged down in the" clusterfuck that is Iraq. I'm simply asking why this is such a huge crisis? They want nukes and we don't want them to have nukes. Okay. That's been the situation for as long as I can remember, so why the fuss now? I hear a lot of potentially's and probably's and might's, but no one coming out and saying, "Hey, here's what Iran is doing, and here is our evidence". Maybe Iran is the monster it's being portrayed as. Hell there's a pretty good chance they are. But we've been down this "trust us" road before, and look where it's gotten us.

Look, I'm not saying Iran is some innocent utopia of butterflies and puppy dogs. I'm just asking that before you try and scare the shit out of me about the upcoming Iran-instigated apocalypse, how about some evidence? Until then, I'm not gonna sweat too hard about Iran. Label me as having a September 10th mindset. Fine. But at least I'm not a gullible bedwetter.

3 comments:

  1. Scare tactics to justify a means. I actually believe that they are a threat. But it based on a hunch, not something I have been told. I know what you are saying, but do you think the government would come out and say, "This is everything we have on them and why we are attacking." I don't see that ever happening...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so what is your hunch that they are a danger? That they want nukes? Of course they do, that's why we TALK TO THEM about it. Because they want to "wipe Israel off the map"? Iran ALWAYS says that, but they know if they blatantly did anything they'd be toast. It's all talk and the occasional skirmish through Hezbollah proxies. If you want to argue they are a threat to Israel, that's fine, but they are not in any sense a threat to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see them as being a threat to us indirectly. I mean, you know way more about politics than I do, but I could see them getting into a war on a much larger scale than just us against them. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Yeah, I don't see just them hurting us, but I could see it evolving into something greater...

    ReplyDelete